22 December 2009

Pre-Vipassana

I am attending a ten day silent retreat focusing on Vipassana meditation.  The course starts the afternoon of December 23rd and is running until breakfast on January 3rd.

I am sure that I will have more to say about it after I am finished. The bit that I know so far is that the technique pre-dates the Buddha, but was discovered by him and is used as a tool in Buddhism for looking inward. I will be getting up at 4:30am each day to meditate, I will be meditating for approximately ten hours every day, and each day the meditation will be interspersed with lessons.  The lessons are not to teach  religious conclusions, but are to teach meditation techniques and give themes to focus on in the meditation sessions.  All of the conclusions are made by the practitioner.

For those family members that were thinking about calling me over Christmas, sorry. My phone will probably be off for the duration.  

I hope that all of you get the opportunity over the holidays to be with your family and forget everything else that is pulling on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment