11 January 2010

Happy Mango Season!

Since returning from vacation I have been wished a happy new year by countless people. When they ask what my New Year's resolution is, I usually tell them that I am resolved to write “2010” instead of “2009” on all forms that I may come across between now and the end of 2010.

Then I ask if the new year is worth celebrating more than any of the other current events. For instance, around the New Year the Minister of Education was involved in a scandal involving the theft of Ministry of Education funds. Maybe we could wish each other a corrupt free tomorrow or quick retrieval of the missing funds.

Better yet, maybe we can wish each other a merry mango season: 
“may your lips be stained orange for the coming month!”
or
“may you be blessed with a thousand toothpicks for removing the mango strings from between your teeth!”

No comments:

Post a Comment