24 June 2009

Moles

The scouts at my school have planted kale. It is a very sizable plot, at about 15 ft by 80, with still more sprouts to be planted. Of course, the nice soft soil attracted some moles and the scouts had to figure out what to do about it. From my chair in front of my house I could hear them arguing about whether or not they could flush it out with water. One said, "it is close to this place" and then another jumped over the ditch and foliage separating me from them and informed me of the state of the situation, asking for my opinion as to whether or not they would be able to route him out. I told them that I didn't think so, and went back to reading the newspaper only to hear one of them squeal with excitement 5 minutes later. One of them jumped back over to ditch to tell me to come look.

There it was, the first real-live mole that I have ever seen. I remember my father borrowing a trap from the neighbor as a kid, but I didn't really like the idea of killing animals and never stuck around to help discard of the mole. This one was ugly, and they made sure to point out its teeth and then let it run a round a bit. If it wasn't so ugly, its activities would have seemed rather cute. It found a banana leaf laying on the ground and ran underneath, beginning to dig another hole.

Finally the students started playing with it a little too much for my taste and I brought them the panga to finish 'er off. Much to my surprise they did not chop it in two, but instead used the broad side to club it to death - what experienced scouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment