08 April 2010

April – Break After the Third Term

I know that I have always been an irregular blogger, sometimes not blogging for 2+ weeks, and some days (like today) writing three posts.  All the same, I feel an obligation to say that you may not hear from me for a while. 

This month is our break from teaching and on Saturday I am heading up to lake Turkana, which is in Northern Kenya. 

After that I will be in Nairobi for the volunteer advisory committee meeting and the diversity and peer support meeting, as well as session and training.

Then I will be visiting another volunteer’s site to talk about ways to teach meditation in our schools.

Here are also a couple pictures you might enjoy.  The first two are from a trip that I took to the forest with Mr. Gitonga (mathematics teacher at Athiru Gaiti) and Mr. Ndreba (board of governors’ teacher in physics, mathematics, and agriculture at Athiru Gaiti).  I think you can tell in one of the photos that I did not feel well.  In fact it was very unfortunate because we had been planning this trip for sometime.  The good thing is that I got some medicine to destroy all of those pesky food-borne viruses from my system and now I feel great!

me next to lake

DSC_1490

The forest is government property and you are only allowed to go there if you have permission from the police.  It is about 8-10km from town, and is the source of the water for most of the region around Maua.

Below is a picture of a table at Athiru Gaiti primary school that is built around a tree.  How cool!

tree table

No comments:

Post a Comment