12 October 2009

A Few Photos

I am in Nairobi and I am using my access to electricity and nearby cellphone booster towers to upload a few pictures from my computer.

The first picture is one of the form four students at our school standing in front of his father's matatu. This is the most common vehicle used for public transportation. The student helps his father over the holidays by washing the vehicle and driving the route (and promptly washing it again because it is so dusty).

This is the acting deputy principal at my school, Mr. Nderitu. He lives in the hills above the school where the conditions are right for growing tea.

In August, just after the end of the term, me, Abed (left), and Martin (right) hiked to the "White Mountain." Our school is just behind the first line of ridges in the background.


Finally, here are two pictures of common building materials for homes in rural Kenya. The first home is mine. It measures approximately 10 ft. by 20 ft. The Kenyans in the village did not believe that a white person (muzungu) is able to live in a house like this. They believed that I would threaten to go home when I saw this house and demand that it be replaced by a much larger home with more amenities. I think it is nice though. It keeps the rain out most of the time, and it encourages me to spend more time outside. The bottom picture is of a more traditional style of home. This one is not quite traditional due to its tin roof, but the walls are made out of a mixture of sticks, mud, and cow dung and the floor is made of dirt.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom!

    It's so fun to read about your adventures buddy. Nice Job on makin 5 bucks on that chicken :-).(couple posts previous). I also understand the desire to want to trek cross-country with a bull. something real, fun, and earthy about that. I made 20 gallons of cider the other day. I'll save you some.

    Take care,
    Mark J

    PS. How is crow pose coming?

    ReplyDelete